Thursday, December 07, 2006

A huge downer

I'm on a pretty nasty downer right now, I've managed to spunk away $3000 in under a week. It's all part of a correction that I knew would have to come eventually, I was way over expectations during Sep-Nov ($7K over) but it's still a bitter pill to swallow.

My neteller roll now sits at $15000, and my GBP roll at £5500 so I'm in no danger of going busto just yet. But as my roll also covers my living expenses (I'd rather my savings went untouched) an element of doubt occassionally creeps in.

There seem to be two approaches to tackling these swings:

1) Sit it out for a while, take a break from the grind, actually get out of the apartment for a decent length of time, see some new places, interact with new people....generally live like any 'normal' person does.

or

2) Work even harder to recover the losses, spend even more hours in solitary confinement thinking that the good times are just around the corner.

In the past I've always taken option 2) but the weather in Buenos Aires is awesome right now so I'm really leaning towards option 1).

If I don't post for a while you know why.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think option 1 will also helps eliminate the risk of taking unecesary chances in an effort to win it all back as soon as possible.

Go enjoy the weather, gaming will be there when you return, I promise!

Razboynik said...

I agree with nabomb !
Take some time off - at least a week and maybe even play a different game for smaller stakes.?
I chose option 2 the other day and blew $1k within a couple of hours, playing on 3 tables. :-(
How is life in Beunos Aires ?
My friend says that it is a fantastic place to live.
Cheers.

Razboynik said...

P.S.
Have you lived in Thailand ?
I really fancy spending some time there.

Perpetual_Traveller said...

Hey guys

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take 4-5 days off at least, and get to know the city a little better.

I have a love/hate relationship with BA razboynik, it's dirty, smelly, noisy and overcrowded for the most part. At the same time it's vibrant, colourful and 'sexy' (for want of a better word?!). Oh, and cheap! ;-)
PT

P.S. No, never lived in Thailand, it's on my to-do list.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I forgot to mention that it was below freezing this a.m. in WSH, DC so appreciate that weather!